Monday, June 27, 2011

Flip flops, Seattle Weather, and Wet Sidewalks.. BEWARE!

Early summer mornings in Seattle translate to wet sidewalks from dew and warmer temperatures for flip flop wearing conditions. I'm fairly aware of my surroundings, I look left and right before crossing the street making sure the walk light is on.  I am afraid of stepping on dog poop so every step is carefully made.  But, today was a different story.  Maybe I was still sleepy after spending seven hours flying (yes my carbon footprint this year will be astronomical.) Or daydreaming because I always manage to do that.

This one step out of my 22 years, 10 months, and 15 days of existence made me stop in my tracks.  I did the scary movie pose where something or someone is coming but I am dead in my tracks... staring and screaming.  Let me remind you I was sporting my flippy floppys and the sidewalks were wet.  What did I step on???  My mind freaked out and I don't even remember too much of how or what happened. This is what's left of my shattered memory of this morning...My toes felt wet as a body was strewn across my big toe, I had orange goo and guts on my foot.  From the pattern on the skin, I realized that..I stepped on a slug or shall I state stepped on and acrobatically burger flipped it onto my toes...how the heck did the body flip up and explode on top of my toe and foot? Just thinking about this makes my skin crawl.... after a moment of shock I gathered my marbles and walked five blocks to my final destination.  Why didn't I go caveman and wipe off the slug juice with a leaf? I waited until I reached the restroom with running water.

I tell myself now that the slug had already died and I happened to add insult to injury. And, instead of dying peaceful in someones garden the final resting spot was the sidewalk.  This slug is being remembered and has left a legacy on this blog.

My mistake can be a lesson learned for others.  Flip flops, Seattle weather, and wet sidewalks.  The result.. wet toes, guts, and shock.  Beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment